a letter for later
Eli & Eleanor,
I fall in love with your Dad the more I see him with the two of you. I want you to grow up truly knowing what a wonderful man he is... and also through his example and through our relationship with one another, I want you each to know and to hold out for that same kind of love you both deserve to call your own one day.
Eli, every day that your dad comes home from work, you two play and play... and play and play. You get so excited when I hear him pull into the driveway and I tell you Daddy's home. You run to the window in the door, which is just right for your height and you watch him come in. You run to him and you hug and kiss, and usually both run to your room after he kisses me hello too! Throughout the evening, usually after dinner, you two play the drums, he sings all your favorite songs with you at the top of his lungs. You play hide and seek, and he chases you on his knees. You two laugh so hard that sometimes there are moments of silence because neither of you are breathing. He absolutely adores you.
Eleanor, even though you aren't actually out and "in" the world yet... your Daddy adores you too :) We lay and watch you move at night after we climb into bed and we have long conversations about you. He usually can't talk about what "it will be like to have a little girl" without tearing up. He can't listen to "Cinderella," by Steven Curtis Chapman without crying either! It will be very hard for your Daddy to see that any man is worth your affection one day, because let me tell you, he already knows you deserve the absolute best. I can't wait to see him hold you for the first time, I know it will be absolutely life changing.
You both will come to realize that so many people talk about falling in and out of love, but that is not at all what love is about. God has someone set aside from you, someone who will make you understand love in a whole new way. Just remember not to waste your time on anything less than his will for you. Love is a choice, a life we learn from God himself and the love he pours out onto us every day. I am so thankful for the love that your Dad and I share. It is a love that some people never get to experience in their lifetime. It is a precious gift, a gift intended to be protected and improved, worked on and always appreciated. I hope we always show you that through the example we set for you, daily.
Your dad makes me laugh so hard sometimes that I can barely breath. He makes an effort to understand my feelings, even when they don't make sense. He and I always fight to see the positive side of a stressful situation. He allows me to spill my heart and emotions out at any given moment. We mutually forgive, again and again, even with the littlest of things. We understand that respect is number one. Our home and our relationship is a safe place, and anyone who doesn't respect that isn't welcome in. We share everything, no matter what, always. He is so silly, and always has a way of brightening my day, even when I thought it couldn't get any brighter. We think of each other first before ourselves. We give lots of grace... because no one should ever be expected to be perfect. We are each others number one fan; because at the end of the day, it's always nice to have someone on your side. He works hard at loving me through my love languages- the effort alone is a sign of his love. Most of all, we make time, because you can't ever afford to take the time for granted.
Know that you are loved beyond comprehension. Most of all by your heavenly father, but your Dad and I love you both with our entire hearts.
xo
Your dad makes me laugh so hard sometimes that I can barely breath. He makes an effort to understand my feelings, even when they don't make sense. He and I always fight to see the positive side of a stressful situation. He allows me to spill my heart and emotions out at any given moment. We mutually forgive, again and again, even with the littlest of things. We understand that respect is number one. Our home and our relationship is a safe place, and anyone who doesn't respect that isn't welcome in. We share everything, no matter what, always. He is so silly, and always has a way of brightening my day, even when I thought it couldn't get any brighter. We think of each other first before ourselves. We give lots of grace... because no one should ever be expected to be perfect. We are each others number one fan; because at the end of the day, it's always nice to have someone on your side. He works hard at loving me through my love languages- the effort alone is a sign of his love. Most of all, we make time, because you can't ever afford to take the time for granted.
Know that you are loved beyond comprehension. Most of all by your heavenly father, but your Dad and I love you both with our entire hearts.
xo

Comments
Post a Comment