Burn Baby, Burn!


For fourth of July came around, one of my very favorite holidays! We celebrated Dad's birthday the day before, it's on the 3rd, (and <-- This picture was featured on Opa's Birthday card.) Then on the fourth, our greatly anticipated 5K was finally here! I hadn't trained like I had planned and had major butterflies, but I was confident I would finish. (Even if it included an ambulance. Great plan right?) It was so much fun though! We drove downtown all together; Me and Dad in one car, and Mom, Zach, Ben, and Eli in another - just incase we had any parking issues. Once we were finally all in line to start I kept looking around thinking what on earth have I gotten myself into, I'm going to die. Half of these people are as ripped as they come and are wearing some serious game faces. Meanwhile, I'm waving at Zach, Mom, Ben, and Eli, and finding which playlist I'd like to tune-into for the race. It really was comical.

As it began...

We started and kept a steady, slow, manageable pace. The race began uphill and a huge bridge was our next obstacle. There were so many people, and starting so fast! I fought the negative thoughts and we just kept moving. The humidity seemed to quilt our lungs and I was already feeling the burn, really? "We couldn't be further than like .3 miles..." We finally saw the Mile 1 marker and I felt my motivation kick in. I kept anticipating the mile 2 marker, but it never came... I was only greeted with a giant hill where the Capitol was. I was determined and after that something, out of nowhere, just said GO. I felt like my body didn't exist as I ran down broadway, free as a bird. Maybe it was that "runner's high" or maybe it was just the fact that my legs burned so bad that they went numb; either was it was completely enjoyable. Deep down I wanted to just scream like a lunatic, "What is happening to meeee? I'm lovingggg thissss." Thankfully I refrained.

About to finish...
With the Boys!


When I turned down fourth street for the home stretch I could see Mom, Zach, Ben, and Eli. I couldn't help but smile and laugh to myself. My official time was 44:33. I was so proud of that, considering. (I have to remember, Eli is only 3 months old!) Dad rounded the corner almost exactly two minutes later. I never dreamed that I would be running a 5K with my Dad, but it was the gift of a lifetime! 

Never say never, because there is no time like the present! 

It was the perfect 4th!

Comments

Popular Posts