4.3.11

Almost six months later and I still haven't written about Eli's birth story. Time has flown by! I have forgotten many days and other's it hasn't been a priority, but today, it is. I'm going to write it real, just as it happened:

Our induction was scheduled for 6am on Sunday morning, April 3rd, 2011. I get the same nervous knot in my stomach when I think about all the anticipation I was filled with that day. Zach and I had dinner with our parents the night before and we tried our best to get some sleep. We planned to wake up at 5:00 am, get our bags together and leave by 5:30. Neither of us fell asleep until around 4:00 am, there was way too much to think about. It was nearly impossible to sleep while thinking, I am going to BIRTH a baby boy tomorrow. I had so many questions and was incredibly nervous. The alarms went off, even though we really had no need for them, and we started getting ready. Everything I did, I said, this will be the last time I ______ before I am a mom. It was the most surreal feeling, or so I thought.

I talked a mile a minute on the way to the hospital. I'll never forget turning onto Charlotte Ave. and  beginning to cry. I repeated the words, Zach I know I'm not having this baby. I'm going to be sent home, still pregnant, because I won't be able to get through this. I hate hospitals. He chuckled, sensitively, "Oh, Ally... you were MADE to do this. You'll be fine. I'll be with you every step of the way." I ugly-cried the rest of the way there.

We arrived at Baptist Hospital and parked in the maternity ward parking. I waddled in the door. Next time I walk through this door, I'll have my little boy with me and the waddle will be gone. We walked to the counter... "Hi, I'm Allyson Baker and I'm here for my induction." I had waited to say that for nine months... how crazy. The nurses were really sweet and started complimenting on the braid in my hair. I really just didn't want bangs in my face while I was doing my pushing business and all, but they made me at ease right away. Another couple was waiting for an induction at the same time... with Miss Frizzle too! Imagine that. The nurses told the four of us that there had been an emergency and there weren't any nurses to check us in, so we could go in the waiting room. So much for being at ease. The minutes ticked by so slowly. The news was on and was the only thing that lit the dark waiting room. I remember wanting to turn it off, the news isn't one of the most calming things to listen to. I looked through a magazine and once I was done realized I never read or comprehended a single image. I had one thing on my mind and that was this baby.

Around 6:30 they called my name. This was it. Finally. I was taken to my room, and asked to change into my sexy, blue and white, modest gown. I remember looking at my bed thinking, they're not letting me out of here without having this baby. It was all hitting me really fast, the nerves and the excitement. I had four worse fears: my IV, Pitocin, breaking my water, and the epidural. I met my nurse, and boy, she was lookin' rough. Thankfully she let me know she would only be my nurse for a few minutes. She had worked all night and her shift was over at 7am; my well rested nurse would be there shortly. (Praise the Lord) She was getting my IV ready and kept telling me how much it would hurt. I'm sitting her thinking Ya heifer, stop talking. I'm PREGNANT and nervous and this moment is one of my worst fears. Just shut it. My nurse walked in the door just in time. She was beautiful, spoke with a soft, calming voice, and she smiled a lot - my kinda girl. She proceeded to give me my IV, and yes, it was very painful. (but it was in a really bad location, just my luck) However, the overworked heifer had gotten me so worked up that as soon as she finished my IV I got sick. Greeeeat. But I was happy; the first thing was off my check list, it had finally begun. Family started arriving and just waited out in the waiting room until everything was done and we were just playing the waiting game. Pastor Todd came in to pray with me and assure me that thousands of women do this every single day. He was so great to be there, especially on a Sunday morning. You really couldn't ask for more from a Pastor.

Miss Frizzle came in with a new, spicy, red hair color. For some reason her hair gave me a new energy. She just looked so spunky and ready for this, I was too! She started my Pitocin and was really no big deal since my IV was already in my wrist, she just added to it. Check! All of this wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. She left the room and came back pretty quickly to break my water. Now, I was really nervous... "She's going to stick  that up there??" I remember thinking she might hit Eli. I didn't feel a thing until seconds later I swear I peed Lake Michigan all over myself. No biggie, they take care of that. Check #3. Really, why was I so nervous? Zach was such a champ through every single minute. He was full of "Whoa!... No way..." and many questions himself. I couldn't have asked for a better husband and teammate though the whole experience. My family started coming in. It was great to see everyone and it made me realize even more they were here to support our family of three. It was wonderful.

I held my belly constantly. I began realizing that I wouldn't feel him move inside of me anymore by the end of the day. I wouldn't be able to sing to him at any point of day and know he would hear me. He wouldn't depend on me for my food and my air and my blood. but I was so excited to see his face and touch his soft, new skin. It was coming... today. My emotions were overflowing.

The rest was a waiting game. They increased my Pitocin as they saw needed. The whole plan was to get my contractions in a specific range; a certain strength to go along with a certain time interval. I loved that I was able to watch everything on the monitor so I felt very much in the loop. My contractions started speeding up and I was surprised at how quickly I started to feel how sleepy I truly was. All that was going on was is a huge toll on my body, plus no sleep... it was hitting me quickly. The epidural was my call, as soon as I felt like I needed it or wanted it all I had to do was ask. As the contractions got stronger, which felt identical to intense period cramps, I was realizing that I would need it soon. I finally decided to ask and they told me it would take 30 minutes. Why didn't I ask sooner? By the time she got there I was so ready. For some odd reason I wasn't nervous at all. Zach began getting really fidgety and nervous. I felt an extreme amount of peace. I leaned hunched over on the bed as she prepped me. Where were my nerves?? This was supposed to be the scariest part. The lady was so sweet. She was one of my favorites. She told me I would feel a bee sting and a little burn. (This was just the numbing shot) I felt a baby bee sting. "That's it??" From that point on all I felt was movement, no pain in the slightest. It was amazing. I looked over to Zach and he just had tears streaming down his face. He kept saying he just wished he could do some of the work to get this little man of ours into the world. I think it looked a lot worse than it really was :) It just hit him all at once, that sweet man. Poor sweet induction lady had to do my epidural over, sometimes that happens. I was already numb, so I really didn't care. Second time was a charm and finally... my contractions began to ease away. Zach was a little relieved when it was over.


We turned the lights down and I just relaxed. The Pitocin began to take it's toll on my stomach and I was sick some of the time, but since they don't let you eat for 24 hours it really wasn't a big deal. The travel sized mouth wash I bought at Target was a life saver! I couldn't get out of bed since I was connected to everything, but I was golden. I continued to see friends and family off and on, napped, and watched TV. It was around 2pm, I believe, when all our parents were in the room. My nurse began looking at the monitors with kind of a funny look on her face, but she had just "checked" me. She said, I'm going to need to check you again... They shut the curtains and she said... ummmm, IT'S TIME. Our parents were so excited, and speaking all kinds of excited jumble as they said their bye's and love you's and were rushed out. Now this was surreal.

The nurses were scattering like ants and I think my jaw sat dropped open.  None of them were looking my way, but I remember saying out load, "Wait... like, right NOW?" Yes, Allyson. You're about to have your baby boy! Zach and I were so excited, oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh. One nurses was yelling in the hall for Miss Frizzle, while another helped me sit up somewhat and then another one took a huge portion of bed of my bed! That even happens?! I was wondering how I was going to birth this baby on a long bed. They were all scattering getting gloves on, masks, coats, the whole shebang. Then Miss Frizzle says to the nurses, "You did get latex free right? She's allergic." They turn into a panic and begin running around even faster. We were on the verge of laughing, it was quite a site. My sweet nurse began telling me the process. "I'll tell you when to push- it'll always be during contractions and just push like you're going poop. Just listen to me." Well, we've all pooped before, Duh. Okay. Got this.

And just like that, we began. I couldn't feel a single painful sensation, but all the sudden I felt like Eli wasn't in my stomach anymore, he was much, much lower. It was so strange. In between these, seemingly easy pushes, the nurses would say, "Hey! We would think you've done this before." I let them know I learned all my skills from One Born Every Minute. (fantastic non-gorey baby delivering show) Within 20 minutes/ 6-7 pushes he was out! She said, "Allyson, look, here he is..."

She pulled the most amazing sight up from my legs.
2:59pm
She held him there, he was so alive, so real.
Zach and I glanced at each other, both full of tears and laughing with the most pure happiness I have ever known.

One nurse yanked Zach over and handed him the scissor things to cut the umbilical cord. Once again, he was a champ! Then the nurses seemed to toss the perfect, Eli Benjamin Baker into my arms. I asked if I could touch him. He was mine. I was amazed.



I touched his slimy forehead, and he was so perfect. I wiped his eyes with my gown and held him against my skin. He was pure and the most precious creation I could ever know. I couldn't really a lot cry because my smile was too big. I just held him, soaking in the best moment of my life. I kissed his little cheek and it was the softest piece of skin I had ever felt.

I felt the closest I have ever been to Zach in that moment. It was a life changing moment, for sure. I definitely couldn't have made in through without him.




They cleaned Eli up and he was finally back in my arms.
Family and friends came to see him. Seeing our parents was the most surreal feeling, they had literally just been in there and there were only two breathing people in the room, but now there were three. We cried and laughed and all remained in awe. We had experienced a miracle.







We couldn't have asked for better doctors and nurses and a better hospital. We felt well informed and as ready as we could be when it came time to leave the hospital.


After a few long days, I walked back out those automatic maternity ward doors without the waddle I walked in with, but instead with the most precious gift I could ever ask for.

xo

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the sweetest birth story I have ever read!
    So was Ms.Frizzle from the Magic School Bus show? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts