The ABC's

I have recently gotten the sudden urge for education. Parenting education, that is. I signed myself and Zach up for a breastfeeding class at Vanderbilt. It is something I feel is so important, but the thought of it is definitely overwhelming and a bit scary. I mean, think about it, you learn to drive before you just start driving. I'd say I should learn a thing or two before just putting the girls through all that. They teach you the in's and out's and everything in between and I'm really excited. I want to know exactly what to expect and how to schedule everything. Plus, I feel like my poor husband should know what to expect too! [Hmm, they say you loose your modesty while being pregnant, I swore that would never happen to me. But I'm discussing these issues on the internet; I probably wouldn't have ever said the word 'breast' before. Ohhh well!] I have also signed myself up for a meeting at the Hope Clinic for BRIDGE classes.

SideStory: When Zach and I first found out we were pregnant, we needed to confirm the pregnancy but had some insurance complications at the time, so a close friend directed us to the Hope Clinic in Nashville. It is a Christian non-profit organization run by Focus on the Family. They do a lot of work with unplanned pregnancies and women who aren't sure about what decisions to make, but they also work with families that are not expecting a pregnancy. We were definitely in that category and just needed a place to get information. We made an appointment and planned on using them as a resource. They did our pregnancy test and our first ultrasound. The sweet ladies there experienced our tears of joy and were incredibly resourceful in helping us with insurance, pregnancy questions, take home information, and more. (As soon as I saw our gummy bear on the screen I burst into tears. The ultrasound tech was sweet and said, so... how are you? I said, so in Love! She sighed with relief and told us how encouraging it is when couples are happy. We couldn't help but be.) They offer counseling and everything else, but we assured them we were excited and might utilize their education classes later on.


So now, here I am, six months later and wanting to know all that I can know before Eli comes into the world. They have infant nutrition, car seat safety, parenting classes and much more. The classes are in the evenings and Zach works most nights, but I'll be able to bring home information to him too. We'll see how it goes, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I am also going to begin reading more of the books my Aunt Monica mailed to me. I have all these resources and definitely the time. So let it begin!

Comments

Popular Posts