This and that... and that.
Tonight we went to, what Zach called, Lactation Class! Yes, the breastfeeding class and it was so worth the money! We learned so much and it really made me at ease about the whole thing. They even gave us dolls, let's make it clear- not to practice with, but to hold and burp and such. I have to say, it was the cutest thing ever to watch my 6ft 3in husband cradle the doll through the majority of the class and softly rub it's hand. (He didn't even realize he was doing it; instinct? Adorable.)
Then we ate dinner at one of our favorites, Five Guys, and made our way home. It was perfect!
So lately, I've felt myself getting more and more frustrated with certain things. The ranting begins now: As a preface, I can't put my shoes on comfortably, there are parts of my body I literally cannot see anymore, and simply sitting is uncomfortable. And more than ever, it seems different people have been eager to give me advice. Medical advice especially, even when I try to explain what my doctor says. I guess I have to understand everyone tries to help, but it's not always asked for, and rarely helpful. For example, I told someone Eli would be born somewhat early, and they responded by telling me what an awful decision that was because their son could have died from that!! I didn't even have an opportunity to explain why. I know my situation is confusing, but I'll gladly answer questions. I have full confidence that my doctors are doing what's best for me and Eli. I love learning from others, but I also just like a listening ear, full of compassion sometimes too. There's always a place for concern, but a loving way to do so. At the end of the day, Dad's words are so true, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." So... with that in mind and all that shenanigans off my chest, here's a letter for the future:
Then we ate dinner at one of our favorites, Five Guys, and made our way home. It was perfect!
So lately, I've felt myself getting more and more frustrated with certain things. The ranting begins now: As a preface, I can't put my shoes on comfortably, there are parts of my body I literally cannot see anymore, and simply sitting is uncomfortable. And more than ever, it seems different people have been eager to give me advice. Medical advice especially, even when I try to explain what my doctor says. I guess I have to understand everyone tries to help, but it's not always asked for, and rarely helpful. For example, I told someone Eli would be born somewhat early, and they responded by telling me what an awful decision that was because their son could have died from that!! I didn't even have an opportunity to explain why. I know my situation is confusing, but I'll gladly answer questions. I have full confidence that my doctors are doing what's best for me and Eli. I love learning from others, but I also just like a listening ear, full of compassion sometimes too. There's always a place for concern, but a loving way to do so. At the end of the day, Dad's words are so true, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." So... with that in mind and all that shenanigans off my chest, here's a letter for the future:
Dear Middle-Aged Allyson,
When talking to a pregnant woman, refrain from giving her your 'incredible knowledge' on birth and delivery. Truly, you don't know everything. If you have something to offer, let it be your words of encouragement and uplifting comments that will be beneficial to her day. Try to keep from sharing the 'worst case scenarios' with this new soon-to-be mother because you know it doesn't help a thing. Never tell her she's hormonal, looks tired, or is moody. Lastly, instead of telling her how huge she's getting, tell her she's adorable, that you've never seen anything cuter, because she'll remember it for weeks.
Love, The Very Pregnant Allyson
On a much lighter note, there in fact are those people that do remember what it's like to be pregnant or to have a pregnant wife or family member. One of those people absolutely made my week!! Last weekend, while Zach was at work, someone came into the restaurant and said they wanted him to pass on a money gift to me. They told him not to tell me who they were, that they wanted to remain anonymous, but to tell me to do something for myself with the money, like a pedicure or something enjoyable; just because. I have to admit it made it tear up, seriously. I am so excited because tomorrow I am going to veg out and COMPLETELY ENJOY my wonderful pedicure. This is something that I will pay forward one day to another pregnant person because I don't think there could be a better gift. If you happen to be the kind soul that gave me my pedicure, thank you, it is appreciated more than you'll ever know and couldn't have possibly come at a better time :)

Comments
Post a Comment